Friends and Family:
This has been one of my favorite weeks so far, and I'm almost done
with my first transfer. By next week I could be moving to a new city,
but because I'm training still, I'll most likely stay here in Abilene
with my comp. We've met with a lot of people, and have plenty of
people to teach. The trick right now is getting the investigators to
keep commitments and progress. Lots of success I think.
One of the things you quickly realize on your mission is how many
crazy people there are haha. Some people we meet are really
interesting. I recall a few weeks ago one man we talked to on the
street who only responded to my questions with quacks (like a duck).
We've met a few homeless men who either try to warn us of aliens, or
who try to get us to join their political party lol. It's a lot of
fun.
Despite some of the unsuccsesful talks we have with people, we've met
some people who have obviously been super prepared by the Lord to come
in contact with us. One of them in particular is a man name Jose
Chavez. We ran into him on the streets and he was happy to see us. He
was in a hurry, so he told us to come by again that night. We met with
him later and he said he was actually a member of the church! He was
baptized 20 yrs ago in Juarez Mexico by an Elder McDuffy lol, he
remembers it like it was yesterday. After those Elders left he got
wrapped up in the drug cartels in Mexico, and started down a scary
path. He said he eventually became scared for his safety in Mexico,
and decided to leave the cartel business, or the family bussiness as
he called it and moved to TX. He had been working books for a non
denominational church before we met him, and a week before we
contacted him, he had came across tens of thousands of dollars being
stolen by this church and by his pastor. He said he was ashamed to be
a part of that church. He now calls that church the Chirstian Cartel
lol. He had just left that church a week before we met him and was
looking for an lds church, but couldn't find one in Abilene. We are
meeting with him and his fiance tonight, and we hope to get them more
active in the church. He was a sweet find.
I'm learning and growing like I never imagined I could, and am
grateful for this opportunity to serve.
One of the most annoying things about bike areas is FLATS!!! We had to
walk our bikes home for hours last night becauise of a flat. Do yall
have any advice for me? I try the slime, but that's not really cutting
it. I'd appreciate any help or advice.
Love you!
Sincerely, Elder Johnson
This has been one of my favorite weeks so far, and I'm almost done
with my first transfer. By next week I could be moving to a new city,
but because I'm training still, I'll most likely stay here in Abilene
with my comp. We've met with a lot of people, and have plenty of
people to teach. The trick right now is getting the investigators to
keep commitments and progress. Lots of success I think.
One of the things you quickly realize on your mission is how many
crazy people there are haha. Some people we meet are really
interesting. I recall a few weeks ago one man we talked to on the
street who only responded to my questions with quacks (like a duck).
We've met a few homeless men who either try to warn us of aliens, or
who try to get us to join their political party lol. It's a lot of
fun.
Despite some of the unsuccsesful talks we have with people, we've met
some people who have obviously been super prepared by the Lord to come
in contact with us. One of them in particular is a man name Jose
Chavez. We ran into him on the streets and he was happy to see us. He
was in a hurry, so he told us to come by again that night. We met with
him later and he said he was actually a member of the church! He was
baptized 20 yrs ago in Juarez Mexico by an Elder McDuffy lol, he
remembers it like it was yesterday. After those Elders left he got
wrapped up in the drug cartels in Mexico, and started down a scary
path. He said he eventually became scared for his safety in Mexico,
and decided to leave the cartel business, or the family bussiness as
he called it and moved to TX. He had been working books for a non
denominational church before we met him, and a week before we
contacted him, he had came across tens of thousands of dollars being
stolen by this church and by his pastor. He said he was ashamed to be
a part of that church. He now calls that church the Chirstian Cartel
lol. He had just left that church a week before we met him and was
looking for an lds church, but couldn't find one in Abilene. We are
meeting with him and his fiance tonight, and we hope to get them more
active in the church. He was a sweet find.
I'm learning and growing like I never imagined I could, and am
grateful for this opportunity to serve.
One of the most annoying things about bike areas is FLATS!!! We had to
walk our bikes home for hours last night becauise of a flat. Do yall
have any advice for me? I try the slime, but that's not really cutting
it. I'd appreciate any help or advice.
Love you!
Sincerely, Elder Johnson
Jill... thanks for posting these. I have really enjoyed reading these and keeping up with him and his experiences. Amazing how quickly they grow... eh?
ReplyDelete