Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, February 29, 2016

Windex and Brooms

The Weekly
The realization came a few days ago. I came in for lunch, ate some cereal and laid down for a quick nap. I don't remember much about what I dreamed about, but when I woke up the realization came that I would not be a missionary forever. I've got about 6 months left, and it's crazy to think about. I've recommitted to use every last ounce of energy that I have in these last few transfers. It's definitely been an awakening. 
We had exchanges this week with Elder from Pecos. We had a good exchange. They stayed with us for 24 hours. It was a ton of fun. I was with Elder Jimenez and learned a lot about him. He speaks fluent Spanish, and we got to use it a lot during the exchange. It's been a ton of fun getting to work with other missionaries. I've learned a ton from them. 
We also had zone training this week. I was assigned the longer instruction on the Doctrine of Christ. I think it went alright. Elder Allen instructed for his first time at a zone training and did a good job. The Senior couple ( The Wells) cooked a good lunch for us after the meeting, and we were off. 
Service this week included writing letters to prisoners, mowing lawns, and washing windows. We walked around town with windex and rags, and asked all the shop owners if we could clean their windows. Every time it started up a conversation. They always would ask, "WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING THIS?" And the response was always that we're representatives of Christ. We're called to preach the gospel and to go about doing good as he did. All of the windows in downtown Ft. Stockton have been cleaned, so we may have to buy a broom and start asking the shop owners if they need their store sweeped haha. 
This week we also had interviews with President Heap. He came down from Lubbock and spent a few days in the District. He interviewed all of the missionaries personally and brought the assistants with him. They ended up staying with us for three nights. They were super chill, except one of them has a serious problem with food odor. I almost fainted when I walked in the apartment lol. They were fun to have around. 
Church on Sunday, we were asked to teach a combined Elders Quorum and Relief Society lesson about member meals. All of the members just hand us money, or buy us groceries (which I am super grateful for) but the Branch President and us agreed that it would be way more helpful for the work if we emphasized having meals in members homes. It was a good opportunity to teach. 
The missionaries from Iraan came in for a night as well for their interviews. They were grateful as usual to have a hot shower haha. Poor guys. They've been struggling to find people to teach, so they just knock doors all day. We're doing everything we can to help them out. 
Things are good here, and I'm better than ever. I struggle sometimes to connect with my comp, but we both have strengths that contribute positively to the companionship. I'm grateful for him.
That's all til next week. 
Loves, Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment