Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 79

Hey. Week 79. 
Hey. Eventful week. 
We spent P-day with the missionaries from Iraan, and then had zone conference the next day in Carlsbad, New Mexico. We rode up there with the Wells, and had a good day. I gave an hour and a half instruction, and it made me super anxious. I'm fine once I start instructing, but the whole time leading up to it, I felt super sick. Ugh. 
SERVICE THIS WEEK:
Bingo: We ran bingo again this week, and guess what? We had ZERO people pee their pants. New record. Bingo went well, and we ended with a blackout round to make Ms. Hazel happy. 
Meals on Wheels: Thursday morning, we delivered meals to a bunch of people across town. Almost all of them speak Spanish. The ladies at the meals on wheels place always have us taste the food before we deliver it. They're awesome. 
Pulling Mesquite: We did some good service for the Wells' neighbors. They need a path cleared for their truck, and the path is full of mesquite bushes. In case you don't know what mesquite is, it's probably the Devil's choice of shrubbery for his yard. It's thorny, looks dead, and is nearly impossible to get out of the ground. I hate mesquite. It's super good to smoke your pork chops with though. 
Mowing Weeds: We helped a member clean up his yard before he moved out. His yard was a pretty gigantic mess, and it took a good 5 or 6 hours of mowing to mow down all the weeds. My job was to push the mower, while everyone else took out garbage. I have callouses on my hands from pushing the lawnmower. It's the true sign of a man. 


We've been picking up a few new investigators. We're teaching a few part member families, and are starting to teach a few Spanish investigators. I suck at teaching in Spanish. 
It was a super sweet experience to go to church yesterday and see how much the branch has grown. There have been over 10 people move in to the branch, and I got to watch Earl Buchanan (one of the recent converts) bless the sacrament. It's been a blessing to be able to see the church grow here. 
We got a random call from a lady who lives out of town, that said her daughter needed a blessing. She was a member, and had a very handicapped daughter in the hospital at Ft. Stockton. We quickly left our apt. and went to the hospital. There at the hospital, we had the sweet opportunity to meet her daughter Emma. She could barely speak, but she kept mumbling to her mom over and over that she wanted a blessing. She was probably the happiest human being I've ever met. We gave her a blessing, and her Mom basically made us take money from her to go to lunch. I hate taking money from people, but sometimes it's better to take it as opposed to refusing it and offending them. With the money we've been trying all of the Mexican restaurants around town. Super good. Super Fattening. #Bendiciones
We also cooked dinner for the Wells to repay them for everything they do for us. They really are a huge blessing to all of the missionaries in the Ft. Stockton zone. 
Well, that's all for this week. We have another busy week coming up including exchanges on campus with the assistants, and zone training. 
Love y'all!
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment