Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, November 24, 2014

Bipolar

Friends and family:
The weather here is so bipolar! The two most popular sayings here in
Abilene are these, Abilene drivers are the worst, and if you don't like
the weather here, wait thirty minutes, it'll change. It's been up into
the  seventies and then down into the thirties this week.
Had a blast helping out the retirement home and the resdients there.
We took them shopping and helped them around the store. It was a
blast lol.  Ex military bro fann showed us how to shine our shoes.
One of our less active ladies was worried about us walking around at
night, so she gave us a tazer lol. We don't carry it with us, but we
did shock eachoter with it. I'm trying to find a way to send the video
home. Hopefully I'll be able to send it by next week.
I bought a voice recorder last week and have been using that instead
of my journal. It makes things way easier. I can just talk into it
whenever anything happens. I'd encourage any mssionary to use a
recorder over a paper journal.
Our only progressing investigators are Merri and Terrell (the ones who
like to grill for us on the weekends). They are doing good, and I'm
super grateful for the opportunity I've had to teach  them. They're
such cool people.
One thing notable that I've learned this week: I met a man named
Dustin on the street. He was stnading on the side of the street, so we
went up and talked to him. He broke into tears as soon as we began
talking to him. He said that he's been homeless for weeks, and has no
family or anywhere to go. I've never before been exposed to how
hard/sad some people's lives are. It gives me even more motivation to
share our message, because I know that those who live these teachings
of the gospel will always have someone there to guide them, and that's
Christ himself. It's funny to see how complicated people's lives
become as they stray from gospel principles. It all just makes so much
sense. Sorry for the short, scattered email, I've got a lot going on
today. I'm loving the work and experience here. Talk to you next week,
Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment