Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, December 8, 2014

3 Months

Friends and Family:
Sorry if my emails so far have seemed more of a temporal/physical
nature than full of spiritual experiences. The reality is: most of my
time here hasn't been spiritual. I've learned a ton, physically and
spiritually, but I'm also not going sugar coat anything. It's hard to
find people here to teach, and we're doing our best. My mission
president was on the phone with us the other day. He quoted a general
authority and said, "How do you baptize the South? You burn it, and
then baptize for the dead". lol at times it does seem that would be
easier. This last week we had one lesson with an investigator named
Jose Gonzalez. We read Moroni 6 with him and stressed the importance
of coming to church. We felt the spirit and he actually almost started
to cry. He committed to coming to church, and to bringing his
grandson! Unfortunately, he didn't show this Sunday, so we're hoping
to get into contact again with him soon. Our most solid investigators,
Merri and Terrell are slipping. We haven't been able to contact them
in more than a week. They stopped responding to text or calls, and we
haven't been able to catch them at home. They're going through a lot
right now financially, and in the midst of it, I think we've lost a
couple of places on their list of priorities. We're praying for them
and hope to be able to meet with them again soon.
        One thing I've learned a ton about this week is LISTENING! I
didn't understand how my comp could pull so much info out of a little
conversation with a guy on the street. But, if you really focus on the
words that they speak and try to put yourself in their shoes, it makes
things so much easier. While focusing on listening, I've noticed that
I've had a much easier time knowing what to say, and feeling
compassion for the people we talk to. It's so simple, but super hard
to do sometimes.
        I think I mentioned our downstairs neighbor Carl a while ago.
The one who smokes and fills up our apartment with cigarette smoke?
Yep, that guy. We've talked to our financial supervisor and he
referred us to the mission president to talk about the situation. We
were trying to find a new apartment to move to, but after talking to
President Heap, it became obvious that it was going to cost way to
much to move to a new apartment because we're still in our lease. Our
mission pres. gave us two options. 1, to teach Carl the message of the
restored gospel and Word of Wisdom to help him stop smoking, or 2,
find a family in the ward that will let us stay with them. We're going
to try and go teach him tomorrow, and we're still looking for a family
to possibly move in with. Fingers crossed we get out of here soon,
because I'm sick of the smell of cigarettes!!!
        I am luckily over my sinus infection and hopefully don't get
another one lol. What are my plans for today? We're making a stop at
the bike shop. My derailer on my bike is broken, so I've been stuck in
the same gear for 2 weeks haha, and both of my plastic pedals have
broken off so I think it's time for an upgrade (:
        This is my last week in training!!! They call it senior week
here, and I take the lead in all of the discussions/lessons. I'm ready
for it. To be honest, I'm a little tired of having a trainer boss me
around. Oh, and there's a good possibility I get transferred this
week, so I'm not sure I'll get letters/packages that get sent to the
Curry address this week.
        Thank you for all of the support. Sincerely, Elder Johnson
P.S. We only got chased by one chihuahua this week, I think that's a record.

Just a note: If you wanted to send Elder Johnson a card or letter or something
for Christmas it sounds like it would be best if you mailed it to the mission
home.  He thinks he's going to get tranferred next week.  The address there is
6310 114th St
Lubbock, TX 79424

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment