Friends and Family:
Wow, a lot has happened this week!!! The highlight of the week was being able to meet with Elder David A Bednar! All 260 missionaries gathered at the stake center in Lubbock to hear him speak to us. It quickly became obvious that Elder Bednar is a master at public speaking, and teaching with the spirit. He is one of the most amazing men I've met. I learned so much just from that short 3 hour meeting with him. We expected him to get up and give a talk, but instead, the majority of the meeting was him asking open ended questions and then allowing the spirit to work. We then got to ask him questions and he would respond, and we would discuss. It was an experience that words can't describe! It was a meeting that I will always remember. I also got to meet up with my fellow Vegas missionaries, Sister Howard and Sister Custer! Afterwards we went with some missionaries and ate at Raising Canes! One benefit of serving in the states...
Elder Hebdon goes home in about a week, and we're just starting to really click in teaching. We have had the opportunity to teach a few lessons this last week, and all of them went pretty well. Not a whole lot of potential still, and a lot of appointments have punched, but we keep a positive attitude, and try to look on the bright side of things. We really do have a blast together.
A small miracle occurred a few days ago here in Abilene, TX. Hebdon and I were riding our bikes in a grass field next to a busy road (There are no sidewalks here) and came across a wallet. I stopped to pick it up and glanced inside. There we found a lady's driver's license, social security card, credit/debit cards, and some cash. We checked her address on the license and decided to go and return the wallet. We quickly found the house and knocked. No answer. So we rang the doorbell. No answer. We decided to knock one more time, but there was still no answer. We were picking up our bikes to head home when a lady walked around the side of the house with a garbage bag in her hand to take out the trash. We told her that we had found a wallet, and asked if it was hers. Her face lit up and she said that she had lost it just earlier that day walking her dog. She immediately focused on our tags and asked who we were and what we did. We explained to her that we're missionaries, and we help people come closer to Christ. Her next words were, "I'm interested. I found a book of mormon in this house that I moved into. I've been reading it, and it's amazing!" I felt the spirit so strong and knew that we had been led to her house for a reason. She had been so prepared for us to meet her, it was amazing. She wanted to meet with us for a lesson right then, but we ended up coming back the next day to teach her. She had so many questions, and had a great spiritual experience while I taught her the first vision of Joseph Smith. We have another lesson set up with her next week. And wanna hear the best part? She lives in the other Elders' area, so we now have to pass her off so that they can begin teaching her (= Awesome right? Haha it was an amazing experience... definitely something I've been waiting and praying for.
Transfers are this Saturday. Hoping and praying I don't get transferred, mostly because of how much I love this ward! In other news, the weather has warmed up to the 60's! So nice outside. It's also supposed to snow this Thursday though, so we're enjoying it while it lasts. My comp starts packing Friday, and I should have a new one by Wednesday! Exciting times here in West Texas.
With love, Elder Johnson
He found the power of nair this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment