Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, January 12, 2015

Record Flats

Friends and Fam:
 
Good news! I set another new record this week! Three flat tires in one hour! We were riding to the top of our area to try a potential, and I got a flat, so we got a member to help us out, and he patched it up pretty quick. After it was done, we quickly rode the 8 miles to the bottom of our area for a dinner appointment. Right as we turned on the street of the appointment, both of my tires simultaneously began losing air haha! And to make it even worse, we had the worst dinner that I've eaten so far. The dinner appointment we had was with a family in our ward. The wife and daughter were out of town, so she left it up to her husband to cook for us. When we arrived, he had completely ruined the tin-foil dinners that he tried to prepare for us, so he pulled out some bowls and said, "real sorry guys, but you're in luck. We bought a whole box of golden grahams last night!". We each had one bowl of cereal, shared a quick message, and walked balk to our apartment so we could make a real dinner haha.
Besides that one bad experience, the ward here has done a great job of feeding us. It really does feel like a family when I go to church and visit with the members. 
We began teaching Jackson, a nine year old boy. His mom and brother are less active and we have been teaching him, in hopes to prepare him for baptism, and to bring the whole family back into activity. We taught him the restoration. It was so tough to teach simply enough for a nine year old to understand! The kid had a serious case of adhd, so he didn't pay attention to most of the lesson, but that all changed when I got to the story of Joseph Smith. I relayed the account of the first vision to him in simple terms, and as I did so, I felt the spirit so strong! Haha I even almost started crying. From that point on, Jackson sat quietly on the couch and listened to the rest of the lesson. We plan on meeting with him regularly and getting him baptized! His family and him weren't at church this Sunday, and we haven't made contact since, but we'll meet with them soon.
Our other investigators, Merri and Terrell ended up moving into the first ward here, so we had to pass them on to the 1st ward elders (who happen to be the zone leaders -____-) Not fun passing on an investigator, but hopefully the zl's patiently teach them and love them as Hebdon and I have.
It's still freezing here!!! We've got interviews with the mission president tomorrow, and then on Friday we're driving to Lubbock, where all 260 missionaries in West Texas will gather to hear from Elder David Bednar. I'm stoked and a little nervous at the same time. Super exciting week coming up! I love y'all!
-Elder Johnson 

Bottle cap collection.  A perk of so many flats!

No comments:

Post a Comment