Friends and Family
What a week! Tamales, Menudo, and Burritos every meal in the Spanish branch. We've been working a lot with less active members this week in both the Spanish branch, and in the 2nd ward here in Abilene. I'm learning the language not quite as fast as I'd like. I can understand most of what people say, however, speaking the language is a whole other story. I had a pretty cool experience the other night while talking to a less active guy in the Spanish branch.
Hermano Juarez hasn't been to church in the 6 months I've known him. My comp and I had the opportunity to talk to him for half an hour or so by himself. We asked about church, his concerns, and the reasons he hasn't been coming. We learned that he isn't happy with the new branch president for whatever reason... anyways during the conversation with him I had a little feeling inside to bear my testimony to him. I REALLY didn't want to... this man only speaks Spanish, which means I'd have to bear it in Espanol. By the end of the conversation, that feeling was still there. We began walking out the door and I had a thought... "If I don't bear my testimony to this man now, I will always wonder... what if? What if I did bear it to him, and it made a difference in his life?" That thought drove me to turn around and ask him, "Puedo compartir una cosa con usted? (Can I share something with you?) He responded si, si... Slowly, holding back tears, I said to him, pointing to my tag, "Yo se que este iglesia es la verdad" ( I know that this church is the truth.) I didn't have anything else to say so I shook his hand and left. He didn't come to church the next day, and as far as I know, it hasn't made a difference in his life; however, I am so glad I listened to the spirit. It may make a difference 10 years from now, when he remembers that white boy that bore his testimony to him in stuttering Spanish haha. It was a really cool experience.
We received two referrals from sister missionaries this week. One of them is for a man named Johnny (Spanish Branch) who has a bap date for the beginning of March. We have yet to teach him, however I'm super stoked to teach him. Maybe I'll finally see some success! The other referral is for a man named Thomas. He's married to a lady named Christine, who is a pretty active member. Christine texted the missionaries to start teaching her husband. They are in our area, so we will start teaching them tomorrow. Both referrals seem really solid, and I feel really blessed to begin teaching these people who have been truly prepared to hear our message.
People here love to pray out loud. In the streets, in restaurants, in their homes. I've had a lot of crazy experiences praying with people on the street. Praying like a Texan is a skill everyone should learn, so I thought I should share with y'all some simple steps how to do it like a Texan.
Step One: Stand in a circle with three or more people... everyone should hold hands firmly.
Stop Two: Someone in the circle begins praying aloud no matter where you are standing (in a parking lot, in a restaurant, the middle of a street)
Step Three: You may address any member of the god head, including baby Jesus, Teenager Jesus, or adult Jesus. Feel free to exclaim "Hallelujah, or Amen" as the spirit directs. Begin to raise your hands above your head slowly... until everyone's hands are reaching towards heaven.
Step Four: Begin taking turns praying around the circle. Feel free to take two or three turns praying.
Step Five: When the prayer is over, give a hug to every member of the circle, and part ways.
I'm having fun, and working hard. Hoping to see some succes in this area here in a few. Thank you for the support.
Love, Elder Johnson
No comments:
Post a Comment