Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, February 2, 2015

Chihuahua

Friends and Family:
This has been an exciting week!!! I'll start of with some records I set this week. In one week I:
Was chased by four dogs (got bit by one) ... (don't worry, it was only a chihuahua)
Made 23 U turns in my new area
Attended 6 and 1/2 hours of church (We now cover one ward and one branch)
Said 6 prayers in Spanish
Ate around 20 tamales
 
I said bye to my trainer on Tuesday. It was a little tough, but my new comp and I get along great. His name is Elder Quessy. 5' 3" little Mexicano Elder. From Whittier California, used to be Cosmo the Cougar... He's a great guy! He's been teaching me tons of Spanish and has introduced me into the Spanish branch here. It's been a lot of fun, and only a little bit frustrating learning the language. We've taught a lot of people in the Spanish branch. I usually just listen in, say a prayer and bare a simple testimony. Hopefully by the end of this transfer I'll actually be able to teach a bit! We also cover an English 2nd Ward here (my old area) so I still get some teaching in in English. What's the best part about serving in 2 Wards? Mucho Comida! We have members signed up to feed us for dinner almost every day, and a lot of days for lunch as well.
 
Spanish has been a little tough to learn. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to learn some. This may be a temporary change (hopefully not) but I've been learning a ton. I can understand way more than I can speak.
 
Along with covering the entire city of Abilene, came with getting a car(: I CANT EXPRESS HOW HAPPY I AM TO HAVE A CAR. It's the nicest thing in the world. No more riding bikes in the rain, slipping on ice and mud... Those days are over (For now).
 
The other day my comp and I were riding our bikes to a dinner appt. About half way there I see my comp look down at his pedal, and a second later the entire crank falls off onto the ground haha! We couldn't fix it then, and had to get to our dinner appointment, so we took turns pedaling with one foot on his bike the whole 5 miles over to the Juarez family for food. Shoot, I'd ride a bike with one pedal uphill for 10 miles to have Hermana Juarez's tamales.
 
Not a whole lot is going on with our investigators. The Elders across the way from us are a little cocky because they've had a few baptisms recently... The lack of success I've seen gets me down sometimes, but when I go out and work, I usually find myself smiling and forgetting all the bad experiences you have here as a missionary.
 
It was quite an emotional Sunday for the 2nd Ward. They rearranged the bishopric. Only one counsellor stayed... it was kinda crazy... I've come to love the members of the old bishopric a lot. We've been working with them very closely. Luckily though, when we went to sacrament meeting in the Spanish branch, they called "Brother Bryner 'former Bishop in the Second Ward' to be a counselor in the Spanish branch. I'm stoked to be able to keep working with him. He's an amazing man.
 
I'm having fun, working hard, and eating lots of Mexican food. Have a blessed week,
Love, Elder Johnson


No comments:

Post a Comment