Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, October 19, 2015

Bed Bugs

This week absolutely flew by. Gonzo. 

News update: I checked the roster the other day in the office, and I noticed that President had me listed as a Spanish missionary lol! That would explain why I've had 5 Spanish comps, and why I'm training a Spanish missionary haha. Either by inspiration, or by accident, President changed my call. Either way, I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn some Spanish. I may not return home speaking fluent Spanish, but I'll definitely know how to speak some Tex Mex. 

 Last week at church, we had a random guy walk into our gospel principles class. I was teaching, so he sat down and my companions greeted him. Turns out his name is Greg, and he met some missionaries over five years ago. They gave him a Book of Mormon, and he has been reading it. He said that he just felt like he really needed to go to church that day haha(: We set up an appointment with him, and had a super good lesson. 
I wish I could say that it's been smooth sailing since. But I can't.
During the lesson with Greg my companion noticed little bugs crawling up my legs. Lots of them. He quickly grabbed one with a hanky, and slyly slipped the hanky back in his pocket without Greg noticing. After the lesson, we walked out and my comp showed me the hanky. Inside the hanky, was a big, fat, bed bug. Did you hear me? BED BUG. It was disgusting. We freaked out and started brushing each other off, and pulling the bugs out from the seams of our clothes. We then realized that there were way too many of them, and they were too good at hiding to get them all off. We quickly called our mission mom, and she told us what to do. 
That night upon entering our apartment, we grabbed a blanket, spread it on the floor, and then took all of our clothes off. We quickly placed the blanket and all of our clothes into the washer, set it on the hottest setting (to kill off the bugs) and took the hottest shower I could manage to singe myself with. Apparently heat kills the bugs, so afterwards, we dried the blanket and our clothes in the hottest setting that the dryer had to offer. We also had to turn our trucks heater on the highest setting, and let it cook to kill all of the bugs that could have been hiding in our  seats and mats. Luckily, we killed all of the bed bugs haha(:
After the Fiasco with the bed bugs, we decided that we would only be meeting with Greg at the church, or in members homes. He attended church again on Sunday, and after the gospel principles class (which I taught... again) he asked me a question that missionaries usually only dream about hearing. He approached me humbly and uttered the question, "So... How do I go about getting baptized?" I choked in the shock/joy and managed to spit out something about lessons with missionaries, and that we could probably arrange for it to happen haha!!! We'll be meeting with Greg more often, NOT IN HIS HOME, and he is preparing for his baptism in a few weeks (:

In other news, we met with Peter Andrade, our Recent Convert, and he is preparing for the temple. I love that man so much. I didn't think it was possible to come to love someone so much in the little more than a month that I have known him. 

This week, Elder Sork and I attended Missionary Leadership Counsel (MLC) here in Lubbock. We got instruction from President Heap, his wife, and the assistants. Although the thoughts and instruction was really good, the most exciting part was the night before. Zone Leaders from all over the mission drove into Lubbock the night before to attend MLC. And since we're one of two sets of Zone Leaders in the city, we had the opportunity to host 5 of the biggest missionaries I have ever seen. They ravaged our fridge, dirtied our apartment, and once they were gone, the whole place smelt like the color brown. Despite the smell, and the mess, it was really good to see old friends from across the mission, and hear instruction from an inspired man like President Heap. 

That's all I've got for this week, time is FLYING! God Bless, and have a blessed week. 


Love, Elder Johnson




No comments:

Post a Comment