Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, March 23, 2015

Belief Window

Friends and Family:

I miss Abilene. 

This area has been kind of a pain to work in. We spend long days contacting in the street (I say we, but my comp doesn't know how to tract, so I do most of the talking) and have yet to gain any new people to teach. This is a lot wealthier area, and it seems to make it harder to get work done. I've taught two lessons since I've been here. 

On a positive note, the weather is SOO nice all of the sudden. It's been in the 70's and 80's and I'm loving it. We do a lot of service at salvation army, and for members. We're working with a lot of less actives and members to try and get things going. 

Haha I don't have a whole lot else to report. I'm working hard to get along with my comp. He's really into Halo, Lord of the Rings, and Legos. He has a few cd's that are songs about video games. one of them was about Halo 3, a game that he really liked and I'm pretty sure he almost started crying because he misses it so much. Haha we don't listen to that cd anymore. We're getting along alright, thebiggest problem he has is obedience to some of the mission rules, which makes it really easy for me to slip into habits like sleeping in or skipping studies that are against the rules. I'm doing my best to lead by example. 

One thing I've learned before I go:
      There's a talk by Hyrum Smith called the Belief Window. He says that one of the things that he liked to do growing up in Cali, is catching crabs on the beach. They would put a whole bunch of them in a bucket and carry them back home. He said that one day his friend didn't put the lid on the bucket and one of the crabs began trying to crawl out of the bucket. He noticed that everytime a crab began crawling out of the bucket, the crabs at the bottom would grab onto it, and pull it back down. They didn't have to put a lid on because the crabs at the bottom made sure the crabs trying to get out couldn't. 
     Same goes for us. There are lesser crabs who are always trying to pull us back down. Anytime we try to go above or beyond, we are told by others that we can't... It's a self esteem thing that we need to overcome in order to become better people, or in my case a better missionary. 

Gotta go, but I love y'all!
Elder Johnson

Juarez Family in Abilene

Davis Family in Abilene







No comments:

Post a Comment