New area and New Comp! His name is Elder Slager from Layton Utah or something. He's complete opposite than my last comp. Exactly obedient, practices hygiene, and a little robotic if you ask me. I'm stoked to be here though. The ward has given me such a warm welcome.
The area I'm serving in now (Friendship Mesa) has been deemed as a pretty dead area for investigators, so we've aimed at establishing the link between members (who should be the full time finders) and investigators. We're working to create a family mission plan with every member in my ward, and have been putting in at least 10 hours of service a week. I mean, we've got a whopping 0 investigators right now, but the ward makes up for it. I love em.
You learn a lot about elders by examining what they've left behind after they get transferred out of an apartment. I replaced an Elder who went home the transfer I moved in. It was obvious by the mess he left that he either didn't have much time to pack, or he was just lazy, so left his junk everywhere. But this last week I've learned a lot about this Elder while examining and cleaning up his junk that was left behind in my room and desk. I've learned that he had some sever balding (evident by the extreme amount of rogaine he left under the sink), his favorite activity to do with his friends is watch/play Pokemon (evident by the hundreds of cards in my closet), and that he has a fascination with ponies (evident by the desk drawer full of my little pony comic books). What an interesting guy... lol
Hey! My new address is 6703 82nd St. Apartment 513 Texas Lubbock, 79424. Send me some cool stuff.
As I mentioned before we've been maxing out our service hours and then some this week. We helped brother Ortiz transplant some oddly placed bushes in his yard to a more... sensible location. (I feel like a surgeon using that word) We helped some African American organization called roots create a community garden for their opening of their African History Museum. We helped out at the food bank, mowed a lawn, and set up plans to help a family clip their chickens' wings. And luckily I've already had plenty of experience with that (Thanks to the Trotters). We've also been going to mission prep to help teach and prepare kids in this ward to serve. We are also playing volleyball Thursday evenings w/ members, LA members, and some of their nonmember friends that they invite. We are also seeking for opportunities to get involved with the youth and mutual activities, while still fulfilling our purpose. This may not sound like a whole lot of missionary work, but we've been trying our best to adapt to this dry area. The only way to get investigators in this area is through the members, so that will probably be our main focus while we're here, with a good amount of tracting on the side.
Okay, here's the part of my email where I beg for some advice... are there any RM's out there that have delt with a robotic companion before? I feel like he's sucking the fun out of me sometimes lol. Let me know.
Love y'all! And have a blessed week,
No comments:
Post a Comment