Texas, Lubbock Mission

Monday, August 31, 2015

#DreamTeam

So, Time is flying, isn't it?
This week flew by, and lots has happened.

We've been teaching an English class four hours a week to help out a lot of international students here at Tech. It's been a sweet experience! I've realized that I don't know nearly as much English as I think I do lol. I find myself wanting to respond to grammatical questions with, IDK, it just sounds right that way haha. I've been teaching two Iranian women. We've become good friends. One of their husbands is a Chemical/Petro engineer. I got to talk on the phone with him and ask some questions. And one of the ladys (Her name is Farzaneh) let's me borrow her Costco card to go shopping haha! 

We spent some time this week contacting referrals. The problem with that in West TX is that tons of the people live on random Farm/Country roads. DIRT ROADS. And it doesn't help that the church hooked me up with a FORD FUSION that rides about 0.5 inches from the ground! We really tear up the cars out here... I kinda feel bad. We spent like an hour driving out of town to try and find one referral, and delivered her 'Mormon Bible' (as the Texans call it). 

With this new transfer, we lost one comp from our trio, and now it's just Elder Lake (The Greenie) and I. #DreamTeam.  The problem is, that even though the last elder left, it still smells like he's living with us. He was the stinkiest dude, I had ever met. I walk into the closet he used, or past the cushioned chair he used to sit on, and the stench burns my throat every time. 
     We have since thrown out his stench-stained chair and donated his putrid mattress to the Zone Overlords. We have also purchased gallons and gallons of febreze. It's a war zone. 

Elder Lake and I are gettting work DONE over here! We've been doing our best to follow ALL of the suggestions in the rule book, and have been teaching a ton more people. The only hard part is filtering out the people who aren't legit (one's who won't keep commitments) It's the promised land over here on the East side of Lubbock #MilkandHoney

There are so many crazy people in this world. I have met so many people completely out of their mind this last week. One lady was volunteering with us at the food bank, and was convinced that she was Oprah or something. She kept talking in Hashtags and saying that she was changing the world. Eventually she got kicked out for taking pictures of us and the workers. Not to mention she was also wearing some very Very risque' clothing. We taught another Less Active lady yesterday who was completely out of her mind too! She thinks that Satan has been forgiven of his sins, and that we need to pray for him... we tried teaching her and her bf a simple lesson, but she broke down, and her stoned bf (complete with pink hair, and nose rings) laughed at every word coming out of our mouths. At one point during the lesson, she was in tears about something, just hysterically yelling and crying, while her boyfriend was almost on the ground laughing because his phone beeped. Haha God Bless those poor people. 

Did y'all hear Sonic had a deal on Aug. 27th? 50 cent corn dogs. 

That's about it for this week. Don't have any super legit investigators, but we are working with some sweet recent converts and less actives. It's interesting... on my mission some of my most spiritual experiences have come not from teaching lessons, or contacting in the street, or even baptizing new converts... but the most spirital experiences have come as I prepare, and then ponder the atonement as I take the sacrament each Sunday. I've grown to love the Sabbath. 

Hey, Love Y'all... Have A BLESSED WEEK

Elder Johnson






No comments:

Post a Comment